Thursday, September 4, 2014

bit by bit

This post will be more like a devotional than anything else, but we all know that I'm a firm believer in declaring truths over yourself.  

I feel like I've seen a lot of sin this week.  I've been surrounded by it, I've heard about it, I've read about it.  I usually try to shelter my ears from things like that.  That may not be the best way to handle things, but it's the reason I don't watch the news.  It's like everywhere you look, there's bad.  It's just bad, bad, bad and you can't find any good.  That's what this week has felt like.  It's been a good week for me, a great week even.  I have loved this week.  I have felt so good these last handful of days.  But the things around me (and I mean some things on campus and things in my town and things in this nation and things around the world) are crumbling and I'm not totally sure how to deal with that.  It's hard to watch and even harder to stand up to.  Pull up USA Today and you'll see what I mean.  That is heavy and hard stuff.

Tonight at BCM, we sang about how no weapon formed against us will prosper.  As we shouted and declared and believed those words, Jesus pulled on my heartstrings.

No bad news formed against me will prosper.
No anxiety formed against me will prosper.
No depression formed against me will prosper.
No sickness formed against me will prosper.
No confusion formed against me will prosper.
No heartbreak formed against me will prosper.
No fear formed against me will prosper.
No death formed against me will prosper.
No awkward situation formed against me will prosper.
No trial formed against me will prosper.

Some of those seem a little silly, but it is so true.  I think, often times, we know that nothing can seperate us from the Lord and in our heart of hearts, we really believe that, but we are foolish and easy to convince ourselves that the storms of our lives are too big.  That these random, seemingly silly things are not what that verse meant.  That Jesus didn't come to handle little things, he came solely for the big things, like the world's sin.  As if those little things are not meant to mess with our relationship with the Lord, too.

I think that it's important to give the devil a name in our lives.  The devil is the anxiety I feel.  The devil is the heartbreak I feel.   The devil is the awkward situation I dread and run from.  The devil is alive and active and until we recognize that, we drown in our little things. 

I'm not sure I'm making sense and I'm not sure how to convey what I want.  
At some point, the little things become the big things.  They tumble and tumble down the hill until they're like this huge ball of chaos and it's too much.  Those are the things that will not prosper against us.  

I believe that anytime satan steps in to thwart us, even a little bit, from doing what the Lord would have us do, that is what Isaiah was talking about when he said that no weapon formed against us will prosper.  Because even in the little bits, we feel and we hurt and we struggle.  And those little bits, little bit by little bit, can make up a big bit.  And that bit will seek to separate us from the Lord.  That big bit drives a wedge between us and Jesus.

The Lord is not only bigger, He's better.  It's never been a battle of size or capacity, but it's always been a battle of the depth of love.  That Jesus loves us enough to come, to live, to suffer, to die, to be raised, and to sit beside the father on our behalf.  What a glorious, wonderful, perfect-but-so-not-perfect picture that is.

Jesus sees you and he sees me.  He sees where we're at and he meets us there.  He came to us in our death, when we were literally dead, and he comes to us in our weakness and he loves us there.  He loves us when we're right and when we're wrong and when we're too confused to figure it out and when we're not sure whether we want to be right or wrong.  He loves us when our bits gets too big and he loves us when we let those bits tumble over us.  

Singularly, my bits aren't that big.  But collectively, that's a mess and that's hard.  Jesus came for those bits to be beaten. 

Jesus, thank you for coming.  thank you for interceding.  thank you for seeing me and loving me deeply.  thank you for raising me above my little messes and my big mess.  thank you for grace and patience.  thank you for loving me all the same.  thank you in my right doing and in my wrong doing. thank you for accepting me.  thank you for giving me ears to hear and a heart to listen that you love me that much and more than enough.  thank you that no weapon formed against me prospers.  you are so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment