Friday, January 31, 2014

Isaiah 43:19

"The first fall of snow is not only an event.  It is a magical event.  You go to bed in one kind of world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment, then where is it to be found?" - J.B. Priestley

Sometimes

Your 20's are for change, right?  Like doing big things and having fun and being so fabulous.  I'm almost 20 and apparently, my head decided to go ahead and get started on said changing things...

A year ago, I was a ministry major.  Since then, I've ventured into the world of Elementary Education.  Up until three or four days ago, I was still there.

For the 5th and final time, I have changed my major yet again.  

I can basically hear your sigh and feel your eye rolling from here.  Don't think that this change just because.  It's not because I got bored with one thing and needed to create something new.  It's not because I want to stay in college forever, though I have named myself the #permanentcollegestudent.  It's not because I hate children.  But I changed my major to Communications because I needed to for me.

It's no secret that I love to write and read and see beautiful things.  I have always avoided things like majoring in English or Journalism because I have this thing where I can't get over the salary I would make, even though I know that I would be so, so happy.  Communications is sort of a happy medium for that.  Hopefully (fingers crossed) I'll have some decent income and I have little to no fear that I will be happy.

The Lord had been slowly nudging me with the idea.  I just couldn't handle Education classes anymore (that sounds cowardly, but try to hear me out).  It just wasn't for me.  Even when I picked it, I said that I wasn't sure that it was what the Lord had for me.  Since then, I have decided that it is, indeed, not what the Lord has for me.  I didn't have a passion about it and if I have learned anything in college - from relationships to majors to jobs -- it's that you can't call yourself to anything, that it has to be Jesus that calls you.  

I still have yet to get it all figured out.  Maybe I'll do some PR work somewhere, like for a non-profit because that would be SO fun.  Maybe I'll get into event planning.  Maybe I'll be an editor somewhere.  Maybe I'll write some books.  Maybe I'll stay at Anderson University forever and get a job here because *lawlz* that was one of the potential jobs I looked at that I could get with my new degree.  

The Lord is teaching me a lot these days.  And some days, I can't figure out which way is up.  But I'm thankful that the Lord restores and that He has sweet, sweet things for me.  I'm thankful that He corrects us in our mere contentment and calls us to be joyful (seriously, I've cried over how excited I am to be out of Education...).  I'm thankful that He still directs, even after I make a lot of wrong moves, and that He still calls me His.

I'm also thankful that changing my major actually sets me back on track and that I will graduate in the Spring of 2016, like I was originally supposed to.  How Jesus worked that one out, I still don't know.


And because I seem to stay busy too much lately, here are some things going on in my little 19 year old life right now (and also a to-do list of random thangs):
  • reading The Fault in Our Stars.  OMG, go read before the movie comes out in June, only $7.99 on iBooks.  Trailer: The Fault In Our Stars
  • applying and awaiting decision on becoming SRA (senior resident advisor) next year.  That would mean that I'm under my RD but over the staff in my dorm area (12 people).  No pressure.......
  • changing my major.  Obvi.  But I haven't met with the Communications dean or anything yet, whoooops..
  • missing home.  Per usual.
  • loving people more and more.  I don't mean that to boast or anything, that I'm doing better than anyone else by loving those around me more.  I just genuinely love them.  I'm so, so thankful for the people around me.
  • not working.  In case anyone didn't know, I quit my job.  Welcome to the unemployed life, also no pressure......
  • recording prayers in a prayer journal.  BEST THERAPY EVER.
  • doing all things fun.  I used to decline some invitations to do things, because I was tired or busy or too busy being introverted.  But lately, I've said yes to a lot.  And it's been really, really fun.
"Your 20's are your selfish years.  Old enough to make the right decisions and young enough to make the wrong ones.  Be selfish with your time -- travel, explore, fall in and out of love, be ridiculous and silly, stupid and wild.  Be 20something."

"For I am about to do something new.  See, I have already begun!  Do you not see it?  I will make a pathway through the wilderness.  I will create rivers in the wasteland."  Isaiah 43:19

Oh, PS: I took a quiz on BuzzFeed last night, "What Career Should You Actually Have?"  And my results... 

You got: Writer

You are a maker. Creative from the day you were born, you spend most of your time thinking about the world you live in. You are open to new ideas and value beauty and originality more than most. We both know you’re not really the office type, so give yourself some room to create. Other occupations: director, producer, advertiser.


No comments:

Post a Comment