Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Little Late New Years Toast

Before the Throne by Shane and Shane [I hate corny videos, but this song is seriously too good.]

"For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! 
Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. 
I will create rivers in the dry wasteland." 
Isaiah 43:19

I've been trying to formulate some type of creative, interesting 2014 post.  Any blogger worth anything should be able to come up with some words in honor of a new year, right?  Apparently not this one.  I was struggling, which was a little foreign.  I only ever write when I feel like I need to, when I'm desperate to pour it all out, so trying to force a post out of myself didn't seem so spot on, but I figured 2014 would be enough of a reason for me to come up with a little something.

It's funny how Jesus will hold you back until you're ready.  It's no mystery that I've been somewhat far from the Lord for the last few months or so, seeing as I've barely mentioned Jesus recently.  Thank God that He doesn't give up on us so soon.  If God gave up on me, I'd sure be in a world of loss.

Anyway.  It wasn't until I reminded myself (READ: was reminded by others around me because I'm much too stubborn to remind myself of much of anything) who Jesus is that I felt comfortable enough to approach the throne.  When you run from God for a while, anything religious (i.e.: reading my Bible, going to church, even praying) can be a little intimidating.  And I was feeling a little lost at sea.  Not that that excuses me, but it is my reason.

We serve a big, big God.  A God of infinitely more.  A God that gave the whole world, just to know us.  A God that pays attention to the big and little things.  A God that hears our wordless cries.  A God that treasures His children.  A God that accomplishes.  A God that is successful.  A God that gives abundantly.  A God that keeps no record of rights or wrongs.  A God that fights for us.  A God that weeps as we weep and smiles as we smile.  A God that feels and moves and calls and corrects and burdens and tugs and weaves and fixes and heals and mends and restores.

That's it.  That little word.

restore

I've seen a few people make these New Years resolutions with just a word.  I wasn't sure what it was all about until I stumbled on a blog and then stumbled on another which led to stumbling on another which led to (and I'd like to point out that a series of stumbling is what my life has been for the last year, but I'm very grateful for this different kind of stumbling) stumbling upon oneword365.  If you haven't heard anything about the phenomenon yet, I encourage you to read and pray for a word.

I've said it before and I'll say it until my bitter heart is over it: 2013 was a rough year for me.  I mean, capital R-U-F-F, rough.  Emotionally, spiritually, quietly, and openly, I was in a bad place.  Since then, I've accredited myself with some time to heal.  Granted myself some space and some distance and some lonely nights spent quietly and some avoided thoughts and some selfish things (you gotta do what you gotta do).  But as much as I try/have tried/will try in the future because I have this really annoying, rebellious heart, I can't escape God for very long before I get really desperate.

Which is why my word for 2014 is restore.  Because no matter how hard I try, I'm unable to restore myself on my own.  No matter how many deep breaths I take, how many quiet evenings I make, or how many relationships I decide to forsake, I'm fully incapable of fixing all of me.  Thank God for that.  Thank God that someone else assumed the role for me.  Thank God that I don't have to fight all alone.  Thank God that I am chosen and dearly adored, cared for enough to be restored.  Thank God that He restores.

re·store [ri-stawr, -stohr]
verb (used with object), re·stored, re·stor·ing.
1. to bring back into existence, use, or the like; reestablish: to restore order.
2. to bring back to a former, original, or normal condition, as a building, statue, or painting.
3. to bring back to a state of health, soundness, or vigor.
4. to put back to a former place, or to a former position, rank, etc.: to restore the king to his throne.
5. to give back; make return or restitution of (anything taken away or lost).

I'm asking, but trusting God to restore a lot of things in me, from family to relationships to my heart to my head to school to jobs to everywhere else that He can be squeezed in.

So cheers to it.  Cheers to new and fresh and rest and fabulousness.  Cheers to good things and bad things and praising God through all things.  Cheers to the restoring work that the King of all kings has set out to accomplish in me.  Cheers to healing.  Cheers to getting better.  Cheers to what's to come.  Cheers to restoration.  Cheers to 2014.

"After all, You are constant. After all, You are only good. After all, You are sovereign. Not for a moment will You forsake me, not for a moment will You forsake me."

No comments:

Post a Comment