Thursday, August 9, 2012

Little Princess

Okay, when I heard the news, I wasn't all that excited. Almost three years ago, Bryant's girlfriend was pregnant with what would be my niece. I mean, a baby, yeah, that's always kind of exciting.

I was so not prepared for this.


This is us, nearly three years later. She's two. And when I say that she has me wrapped around her tiny little fingers, I wish I was lying.

I never had an desire to be that aunt. That aunt that was constantly showing off iPhone pictures of the niece, telling little stories that no one else really gets until they see her (and even then, it's still kind of weird), always kissing the little baby, showing way too much affection. I just assumed these people were crazy and annoying - why would I want to be that?

Then Madison came along. And it all made sense.

From the constant messy marks on her mouth from her "si" (pacifier), to the way she walks around on her toes, to the worried way she tells you that something scared her, I love every inch of this baby. If I ever thought I loved anything before, I was sadly mistaken. She has taken love to a complete new level.

I adore her. I need her kisses and her love like something I can't explain. I miss her as soon as she's gone and run to her as soon as she's here.

It's hard for me to even understand loving anything more.

_____________________


So, of course, like everything else in life, this makes me think. How in the world can I love a little baby so much THAT ISN'T EVEN MINE?! She's not even close to being mine! But with every opportunity I can, I'm posting pictures with "guess what princess is mine for the night?!" captions. I have this need to call her mine, to possess her. I don't want babies yet, Lord, have mercy, but she's too much to pass up. She has to be mine. Does that make sense? Maybe I just sound crazy..

Anyway. If I want to call Madison mine, want to love on her all I can, want to protect her, do anything for her, how does this compare to God's love for me? The Word tells us over and over that we cannot understand the Father's love, that is goes far beyond any love we have.

And this is where I start screaming HOW CAN THAT BE.

That's impossible. It's absurd. It just simply cannot be true. There is no way.

1 John 4:9-10-This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

Oh yeah. That. So maybe it is true. God really does love us more than we can imagine. Looking at what He has done for us, it's clear. I can't fathom it. If anyone ever asked me to give up Madison for the sake of the sins of the world, I'd look at them like they were asking the most ridiculous task ever. and she isn't even my own child.

In this light, on the Thursday morning, it's hard to ever remember why I've doubted God. I want the absolute best for Madison, God wants the best for me x10. So why would He ever lead me the wrong way, leave me, forget me, ignore me?

He wouldn't. Plain and simple. And I don't know about you, but that is the most reassuring news I've heard all year.
He simply wouldn't do that to me.

Romans 8:31-39-
So, what do you think? With God on our side like this, how can we lose? If God didn't hesitate to put everything on the line for us, embracing our condition and exposing himself to the worst by sending his own Son, is there anything else he wouldn't gladly and freely do for us? And who would dare tangle with God by messing with one of God's chosen? Who would dare even to point a finger? The One who died for us—who was raised to life for us!—is in the presence of God at this very moment sticking up for us. Do you think anyone is going to be able to drive a wedge between us and Christ's love for us? There is no way! Not trouble, not hard times, not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not bullying threats, not backstabbing, not even the worst sins listed in Scripture:
They kill us in cold blood because they hate you.
We're sitting ducks; they pick us off one by one.
None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us. I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.

Prayer Time: God, thank You for Your unending love. Thank You for loving the unlovable, for never shaking the foundation of Your love. You give us far more than we deserve and I pray that we even try to understand that. Thank You for what You sent Your Son to do on the cross to save us, God, we can't even begin to understand a sacrifice like that. Thank You for looking upon us in adoration and calling us 'Yours'. Thank You for Your blessings that You pour out on us, just to show Your love for us. I pray that we never forget the love You have for us. For it's in Your holy and precious name we pray.





Zephaniah 3:17-Your God is present among you, a strong Warrior there to save you. Happy to have you back, He'll calm you with His love and delight you with His songs.


No comments:

Post a Comment