Monday, November 11, 2013

Humble Pie and Monday Perspectives

I cannot even begin to imagine how frustrating it would be to be God.  Even more so than that, how frustrating it would be to be God to someone like me.  Often times, I even get on my own nerves.

Waking up this morning was easy.  After a perfectly exhausting weekend, deciding to go to sleep last night at 11:45 sounded like my best idea in months (that would be aside from going home and going to Greenville this weekend.  so, so, so fun and necessary).  When my alarm sounded at 7:30 this morning, I felt more rested than I have in weeks, in spite of my lack of sleep this weekend.

Then three thoughts happened all at once:
1. It's Monday.
2. You have 3 classes today, then 4 hours of work.
3. IT'S. MONDAY.

And then, perfectly timed at 8 am, I received this text from my mother:


"Good morning!  Just wanted to tell you that I have already 
prayed that you have a wonderful day and week! 
*sunshine emoji, smile emoji, kissy face emoji*"

There's nothing like a slice of humble pie to start off your week.  As I moaned, groaned, complained, and dreaded my Monday, my mother informed me that she had already been up, despite not having to work today, and already selflessly prayed for me.

In my pouting state, Jesus spoke to me.  Brenna, you asked for this college.  You prayed about being accepted and I made that happen.  Brenna, you asked for this job.  You prayed for that for months and I made that happen, too.  Stop complaining and do the work that I have blessed you with.

[[This is where I see how frustrating it would be to be God.  I ask for things, but grumble when they're given.  I'm not sure what kind of logic this is, but I need to work on it.]]

In reply, my humble prayer was simple: "Jesus, thank you for college.  Thank you for preparation for my future.  Jesus, thank you for a job.  Though I don't always like either, I pray that you would help me to choose joy, despite my grumbling heart.  Teach me to be joyful in the work that you have for me.  Teach me what it means to work as if working for you."

I'm not sure why I've got the idea that I can do all of this alone.  Not sure why I feel like Jesus can only handle the big stuff and that He can't handle the absence of joy in my heart, either.

And if that wasn't enough to slap me into place, here's the Jesus Calling devo for today:

"Do not let any set of circumstances intimidate you.  The more challenging your day, the more of My Power I place at your disposal.  You seem to think that I empower you equally each day, but this is not so.  Your tendency upon awakening is to assess the difficulties ahead of you, measuring them against your average strength.  This is an exercise in unreality.
I know what each of your days will contain, and I empower you accordingly.  The degree to which I strengthen you on a given day is based mainly on two variables: the difficulty of your circumstances, and your willingness to depend on Me for help.  Try to view challenging days as opportunities to receive more of My Power than usual.  Look to Me for all that you need, and watch to see what I will do.  As your day, so shall your strength be."

I think the opportunity to have joy in each day is solely our responsibility, even on Mondays.  We're responsible to make the choice.  We choose to sin.  We choose to rebel against God.  We choose to accept that we are in desperate need of a Savior.  We choose to seek Jesus.  We choose to take up our cross.  We choose to take joy.  It's a simple concept, but we make it much harder by allowing our brains to be clouded by the business and craziness.

This is why rest is vital.  Resting physically and resting spiritually.  Resting physically because our bodies are exhausted.  Resting spiritually because our hearts are exhausted.  Resting spiritually says "God, I need a break and I know you supply breaks."

I know it's Monday and I know it's hard and I know you can't wait for this season to be over and I know we're ready for a break, but choosing joy isn't such a far off concept.  Press on.  This too shall pass.

{Psalm 105:4} Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.

No comments:

Post a Comment