Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Diva?

What does being a diva really mean?

"They're also fun, positive, and willing to share the spotlight. 'Having a healthy diva around brings a lot of sparkle,' says a psychologist quoted in the essay. 'They make your world more interesting and pleasurable because you can bask in their spotlight with them.'"



I might be totally ridiculous for even posting this, but I'm just yolo-ing my way through everything these days. *hairflip*

I feel like an explanation about what a "diva" really is is needed.  I get called Diva at least once a day (lol'ing at myself as I type this).  But I take joy in being a diva.  I take joy in what that means.  With that being said, I feel like I owe a definition of what being a diva really means to me.

Being a diva isn't about being over the top and ridiculous and high maintenance and unnecessary (though I know I'm all of those things).  Diva isn't about thinking you're better than everyone and thinking that you deserve better than everyone.  No, it's not about having a big head or being spoiled or being a princess simply for the sake of being ridiculous.  

Being a diva is being confident in the woman that you are.  It's standing for what you believe in.  It's loving life and loving people.  It's knowing that you deserve the world, not because it is entitled to you, but because you know your worth.  It's knowing that you deserve the best because you are as precious as diamonds.  It's embracing the awkward for the sake of love.  It's loving you and loving others.  It's being a princess because it's okay to love you and to be very happy with the person that you are.  It's getting your nails done, buying yourself flowers, taking personal days, and retail therapy because life is hard and quite frankly, you deserve a break sometimes.  It's working hard for what you want and not taking your blessings for granted, but in the same light, not being afraid to brag about what you've worked for.  It's being sexy and attractive and comfortable in your skin.  It's empowering and fulfilling.  It's a lifestyle and a lesson.  
Through embracing myself, I've coined the term "diva", not because I needed a word to set myself apart from others, but because I wanted to remember who I'm striving to be.  It's not high maintenance when you work hard and play harder.  It's about getting what you deserve because so often, what we deserve is taken from us.  It's about stepping into the world and taking what you want, not out of selfishness, but because the world is yours to take.  It's standing in front of the world and saying, "you know what?  I know I deserve better than this and I'm going to receive better than this because I'm a strong woman that is in charge of her own life."  It's about taking risks and taking opportunities because you deserve that.  You deserve fun.  You deserve love.  And you deserve a full, happy life, dang it.

It's being so happy with the person that you are, while you still know that there is much room for improvement, and the person you are becoming because you know you're being shaped into something wonderful.  It's letting yourself be hurt and be happy.  It's letting your hair down when you shouldn't, it's taking a nap when there's everything in the world to do, it's dancing when you're stressed.  It's driving fast, music up, windows down, screaming, crying, laughing, smiling, and being so alive that you could combust. 

It's being needy and over the top because someone has to be, right?  Maybe that's a little much, but really, I don't mind.  Someone has to do it, might as well be me.

It's loving your friends and family and taking every chance you get to brag on them.  It's not prideful, but rather grateful.  It's being blessed and blessing others. 

It's apologizing when wrong.  It's praising others when deserved.  It's recognizing your flaws and your strengths. It's praising Jesus for all that you are, imperfections and all.  It's knowing full well that the Lord has blessed you and that He loves you immeasurably more.  It's looking at yourself through a different lens--one that sees someone strong and beautiful and comfortable and lovely because that's what you are.

It's using tongue emojis at all the wrong times, sending thirsty, "tell-me-I'm-pretty" snapchats in the middle of the night (because we all deserve to hear that we're beautiful sometimes), loving and hating the wrong boys.  

In all of that, sometimes (often) (okay, very often) I'm ridiculous.  But I'm not apologizing because I'm happy with the person that I am and the person that Jesus is shaping me into.  Within all of this, it's really just being madly in love with your life and yourself.  Not to the point of being prideful or selfish or crazy or entitling of yourself, but it's knowing that life is a beautiful ride and that you deserve to be able to embrace that beauty.

I encourage you all to be Divas.  If you don't take control of your life, everyone else will.  And that is simply not an option for strong, beautiful, Jesus-loving ladies because we deserve the chance to live life abundantly.  I always say it's a lifestyle and I truly believe that.  It's constant growth into the woman you wish to be.  Though I'm content with the woman I am, I know that I have not "arrived" and that I never will.  Life never ends and growing never ends.  Praise Jesus for that.  

I believe that there is nothing sexier than a confident woman.  And you know what?  You deserve to be sexy.  You deserve to be smart and strong and independent and beautiful and God-fearing and sassy and perfectly imperfect.

It's learning who you can be and loving who you are.  Praise Jesus, praise Jesus, praise Jesus. 


Proverbs 31: 10-31: A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds. Her husband trusts her without reserve, and never has reason to regret it. Never spiteful, she treats him generously all her life long. She shops around for the best yarns and cottons, and enjoys knitting and sewing. She’s like a trading ship that sails to faraway places and brings back exotic surprises. She’s up before dawn, preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day. She looks over a field and buys it, then, with money she’s put aside, plants a garden. First thing in the morning, she dresses for work, rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started. She senses the worth of her work, is in no hurry to call it quits for the day. She’s skilled in the crafts of home and hearth, diligent in homemaking. She’s quick to assist anyone in need, reaches out to help the poor. She doesn’t worry about her family when it snows; their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear. She makes her own clothing, and dresses in colorful linens and silks. Her husband is greatly respected when he deliberates with the city fathers. She designs gowns and sells them, brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops. Her clothes are well-made and elegant, and she always faces tomorrow with a smile. When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say, and she always says it kindly. She keeps an eye on everyone in her household, and keeps them all busy and productive. Her children respect and bless her; her husband joins in with words of praise: “Many women have done wonderful things, but you’ve outclassed them all!” Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God. Give her everything she deserves! Festoon her life with praises!

I hope this encourages someone.  I pray this encourages someone.  Be you because that is such a beautiful thing.  I'm in tears because I so passionately love what God is doing here.  I love you all, thanks for putting up with me.  

And here's a link to a Cosmo article that every diva should read <3
We Should All Be Healthy Divas: Ready, Set, GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment